I was playing around on Amazon and I have no idea how, but I ended up on this page: Retro Candy
Do you remember penny candy stores? We had two when I was growing up. One was a little market called Von's in Bellevue, KY. We would stand in there picking out a few of this and a few of that while the very patient store clerk added it to our little brown paper candy bag. It was a favorite trip for us to walk up there with our friends during the summer and get our candy. (Remember when you could walk around your small hometown as a group of nine year olds and it was safe??)
The other place we used to go as teenagers...yes, we loved candy as teens too!... was called the Ice House. It sold mostly beer and liquor but they had penny candy behind the counter. My best friend, Tracey, and I would go in with a dollar and get a little bag filled with $1 worth of penny candy. 10 gummy red dollars, 10 little packs of sixlets, 10 red fish, 10 malted milk balls, etc. The clerk in that store was not so patient so he would just grab a handful of each and throw them in the bag without counting. He was good-humored about it though and we got extra candy that way.
Neither of those stores are there any more...too bad.
My favorite place to get candy was Schneider's Sweet Shop. Hand made candy and Oh My...the smell of that place when you walk in...so heavenly. *sigh* My kids love to go in there now when we are in Bellevue. We don't get up that way often so it is a very special treat. My favorite is peanut butter fudge. I used to take a dollar in there when I was a kid and get a bag full of it. Now a dollar might get you two pieces. Still, it is sooo worth the price!
Getting Back in the Groove
6 hours ago



3 comments:
There isn't anywhere around here that you can buy candy like this anymore. I am sad that my son will not have the memory of buying penny candy like I did. My favorite was the rock candy on a stick that was so sweet you couldn't finish the whole thing even if you really wanted to. Also, it was sharp as broken glass and you cut your cheeks to shreds eating it. We loved them anyway!
My kids love that rock candy! They sell it at Schneider's. It's not on their site but they do have it sitting on the counter in a jar at their shop.
I can see a trip to Schneider's very soon, I'm getting a bad craving...
Oh yes I remember... "The Company Store" right up the street is still there, and still sells it! They have those huge sour pickles in a barrel too! Growing up Mum used to take me to "Bakers" in Buzzards Bay... they had it out in little baskets and you could pick your own. Those little wax bubbles with sweet juice inside, then you could chew the wax! I loved "Fire balls" and those little styrofoam like wafers with candy sprinkles inside... and the little Bazooka gums that came wrapped in a little comic cartoon... and gummy bears... and, Ohhhhh goodness, i'd better stop - i'm getting hungry!!!!!
Post a Comment