Deer Conspiracy

The deer are totally out to get me.  As a matter of fact so are the bees.  Fortunately the bees are gone for the winter.  But the deer are out and about during the current mating season.

I have no idea what I did to deserve the deer's disdain.  When I was a kid living in the city it was the experience of my life (at the time) to be at summer camp when I was 11 and a doe and her two little ones would come up to us at lunch time and eat out of our hands as we dumped our trays in the garbage barrel outside.  Two bucks were pinned up back behind our cabins so they didn't hurt the kids.  We could pet them though, I remember rubbing the fuzz on the antlers of the younger one.

I never understood how hunters could kill the deer, poor little Bambis all over the place losing their mothers.  The saddest thing in the world.  I think my ideas about hunting began to change when I moved to a rural area ten years ago.  Oh my gosh, the deer are everywhere!!  There are so many that there is not enough food for them all.  Many of them suffer from a "wasting disease" and they cause several wrecks throughout the year, especially mating season and springtime.  I decided that it might just be for the best that the hunters slim down the herds but no way did I want to know about it, hear about, and certainly never wanted to participate in it in any way.  I don't think I could ever stomach it.

Back in April of 2009 I hit a deer with my van.  It was dark and raining and I wasn't even going that fast but the deer came out from behind a barn and was in the road by the time I saw him.  It was a terrible experience.  I just kept thinking that if the deer is lying there suffering, what do we do to help it.  Fortunately, it got right back up and kept running.  I still layed there that night wondering if it was off dying somewhere.  I had to buy a new car because the van had too much damage and wasn't worth getting fixed. 

Ever since then, I have had more deer than I can count run out in front of me.  I haven't hit one again but I feel like I have to constantly be on the alert.  I'm telling you, I think they are trying to cause me to run off the road.  Maybe the deer I hit was their prince or something...like Bambi, the little prince.   Crap.  It figures.

One of them got me a couple weeks ago.  I saw her in time and I came to almost a complete stop.  She barreled into the passenger door with her shoulder like a football player and kept on running.  Didn't even stop for a second.  She did it on purpose, I know it!  The mirror fell out and it put a little dent on the door of my new car (2005 Impala, new to me :)) that I've only had since April. 

About 10 minutes before this, I saw two huge bucks coming through a field towards the road.  I stopped just as they got to the side of the road and they stopped also.  They both just stared at me and I was afraid to go because I didn't want to hit them, so I just sat there looking at them, they still looking at me.  A car came around the bend behind me and they took off across the road in front of me.  Creepy.

I gotta get out of the countryside.  I'll tell you about the bees that don't like me later.  Then there are the rabbits, woolies, and squirrels (who won't even come near my house anymore).  Don't even get me started on the 'possums.  I'm not very popular out here.

2 comments:

Melody said...

What's a Woolie?.
Curious minds must know??
:)

Christina said...

Oh, haha, it's one of those little fuzzy caterpillar like things that are brown and black. They are supposed to be able to predict the weather by looking at their stripes.

Post a Comment